Answer any five of the following questions in about 500 words each. Attempt at least two questions from each section. All questions carry equal marks.
SECTION - I
- Discuss the growth of sociology as a discipline in India.
- Write a critique of the colonial perspective on the study of caste system in India.
- Explain the social structure of Indian village with respect to caste, class and gender.
- Explain the significance of the descent approach to the study of caste system in India.
- Discuss the emerging class structure in agrarian societies in contemporary India.
SECTION - II
- Discuss the debate between Vermier Elwin and G.S.Ghurye on the tribal question in India.
- Examine the relation between religion and culture in India.
- Distinguish between old and new social movements with suitable illustrations.
- What do you understand by urbanization? Explain its impact on rural India.
- What is a post industrial society? Is India entering into a post industrial society? Justify your answer with suitable illustrations.
Also Read : Explain why sociologists in India, during the nineteen fifties felt the need to study the Indian village.